hi, we got a few queries regarding our current fundraiser about “where does the money go”, and since people love to ask about money and the newspaper, i thought i’d take some time out and address this.
the basic business model of the Mothers News is that we give it out for free and charge for ads. for the past two years this has worked out really great- we are able to pay our printing and mailing costs, make promotional materials (stickers), pay rent on the Mothers News office, and pay the Managing Editor (me) enough to buy food and (some) books. we also pay our Providence newsie JMO $50 to drive the paper around. while there have been tight times, and certainly no one has become monetarily rich, i definitely have NO COMPLAINTS. the paper is really a dream, it’s my only job, i do whatever i want, we have an amazing readership, an incredible bunch of contributors, and wonderful things (known and most likely also unknown) have happened as a result of the paper, no complaints.
Anyway, in the past few months the stresses of editing the paper began to accumulate, and it became necessary to hire someone else to help out. so that’s what we did. of course we were already operating extremely close to the wire, so we needed another income stream to pay them, hence the fundraiser. so: the initial $5000 goal of the fundraiser will pay for one year of administrative assistance. i should repeat- this is a necessary expenditure. making the paper is a lot of work, and while it’s not too much for one person to do, it is too much for one person to do forever. in the interest of continuing the paper, we needed to hire on. and given that, we need to pay that person. the $5000 will make sure that this person is always paid (at the current budget that’s $11 an hour, 8 hours a week). for the time being, my own salary will remain dependent on hustle (selling ads).
any money raised after the initial $5000 will mostly go towards the following objectives:
- new(ish) laptop computer – the first couple months of the paper were made on an EeePC 701 (current retail $25), plugged into an external monitor. after that we were gifted an older mac tower from our friends at the Participatory Culture Foundation. we would like to get a newish laptop in the $300 range. I should also say that we are currently accepting donations of newish, basically not-fucked-up laptops (email MN@mothersnews.net). this would be extremely helpful.
- savings – as a business-like entity, it seems prudent to try and sock away $300. i feel like there were a lot of situations in the past two years where if we had had $300 we could’ve done something that would recoup the money and then some. damn we were kicking ourselves for not having a swingable $300 (or less) a bunch of times! this is for things like investing in merchandise, travel expenses to trade shows and performances, printing projects other than the paper, stuff like that. also just a general safety net, haven’t had one of those in a long time!
- distribution – it costs us $131 to send monthly bundles of Mothers News to a new city for a full year. so after the laptop thing and the savings thing, every extra $131 we raise could send the paper to a new city.
i guess that’s it? if things really go far out then we start talking about hiring more people, which would be incredible. if you want to talk more about money, call me up, and we’ll talk about money!
WHOA!!! Congratulations to our buddy Colin from Slice Harvester, whose BOOK just got picked up from Simon & Schuster!!! Colin is a frequent advertiser in Mothers News and we were lucky to go with him on a pizza review mission last year (although we were basically ballast because we have a hard time being critical about pizza). boo yaw.
some Slice Harvester ads from Mothers News
Whoa!!!! Only a few days in and we’re already past the halfway point to our $5000 goal (visualized here by Dan Pozniak’s hair from teh cover of Seven Seconds’ “Walk Together, Rock Together” LP). As of this writing we have raised $2897, thanks to the contributions of only 66 supporters! Lots of Mothers Helpers, Subscribers, Professionals, Astronauts, and even one “Executive Realness”. This is incredible!!! Please remember that even if you can’t support Mothers News financially at this point, it would really mean a lot if you helped us out by spreading the word, via your newspaper, your blog, your tumblr / twitter / facebook. “When you play it, say it!”. http://www.mothersnews.net/year3
“Mother’s News is the most reliable way I’ve found to make sure my brain never fuses shut.”
- Lola Pellegrino
Grass Widow is a great band and they have a new album coming out which we’re all pretty excited about. also all three members are subscribers to Mothers News, and all (independently) found the batman, in our regular “find the batman” contest. kind of hard to see, but Hannah (bass) is wearing her Mothers News batman pin (what you get when you find the batman) in this promo video for the new record:
if you want one of these pins, the only way to do it is to get a CURRENT issue of Mothers News, and FIND THE BATMAN hidden somewhere among the ads. then send us a postcard detailing his whereabouts. this, our most coveted item of merchandise, cannot be bought! only gained by endeavor. in the words of Josephine Mendes, GOOD LUCK!
oh, and if you don’t live near a Mothers News distribution point, you can always be like the band and SUBSCRIBE!! very cheap, with many nice bonus items!
wow! our big Mothers News Subscription Drive is going great! as of this writing, we’ve reached a fifth of our goal with still 46 days to go! thanks to all the MOTHERS HELPERS, SUBSCRIBERS, and especially ASTRONAUTS out there!!!!! so far no one has gone all the way into EXECUTIVE REALNESS, but there are a few people nibbling at the concept (we didn’t anticipate this, but A Reid is trying to microfinance this mega-level- not sure how this would work but beep at this doggy if you want to go in but not get the tattoo).
in press news, we got interviewed by a nice young man from the Providence Phoenix the other day, look for that week after next. best quote:
PP: do you consider the Providence Journal and the Phoenix to be your competition?
MN: uh, no offense but the phoenix and the projo are NO competition…
also good looking out to our friends at AMIGOS publishing who gave us a nice write-up and posted a VERY inspirational video alongside!!! thanks!!!! this newspaper could be your life!
yoooooooo tomorrow night (friday may 4th) at 9pm we’re having a Mothers News release party / show here in Providence for Mothers News. this will be at as220, on empire st..
bands will play, including:
- WRECK ROOM
- MINCEMEAT OR TENSPEED
- maaaaaybe 1 more?
we’re asking for $3 or more at the door to help support THE PAPER OF RECORD. come on by, drink a beer or soda or something, hang out, listen to some music, pick up the new issue.
about the bands-
STYK is a GLAM BAND featuring members of Terribles, Secret Lovers, and Harry And The Potters. eye makeup, lacey cuffed shirts, sax solos, fuck. pretty psyched on this band. http://www.styk.me
MINCEMEAT OR TENSPEED – lots of people are walking the dance/noise line nowadays, but the OG, who nobody does it like, is Providence’s own MMOT. real head bop! also runs a successful dog walking business. here’s a cool video of dude in a cave ya:
WRECK ROOM – johnny and hall. great feeling when two excellent buddies have a band that rules.
again, this is on FRIDAY THE 4TH, which is either tomorrow or today, depending on when you read this (or it already happened), at 9pm, at as220, for $3 or more. nice nite come on by. PROVVVVVVVVVVIDENCE. say hi.
ahh some quick notes:
- canadians, come find Mothers News operatives at the Toronto Comics And Festival- Chuck Forsman (aka Charles Forsman) will be there with a sack of papers and a stack of his own comics. and countryman Michael DeForge (no known alias) will also be there with a maddening array of items. Stop by and say hi! PLEASE NOTE: Forsman has long hair now, and DeForge a shaved head, so don’t get rattled. also, in re: forsman / deforge megazord “Chuckle DeForsman”, the North American military disavows any knowledge of such a creature or team. IT DOES NOT EXIST.
- in case you were wondering where deforge gets his textures from, it’s 100% this commercial- rippers rejoice:
- here’s a nice post from Drawing Words and Writing Pictures on using James McShane comics in the classroom:
- new graffitti outside the Mothers News office– we reported on this wall in the February issue, it keeps getting tagged then repainted, back and forth, maybe once a week. the initial tag (which we greatly enjoyed) was a long wavy line that said “PLAIN WALL” at the end. the most recent one (already buffed out) is maybe for providence residents only but whatever:
photo by peter glantz
the latest in a series of comics about a man named Juice looking for something in a disorienting zone!
if you pre order the book you will get your name written in the thank u section in the back!
the book will be between 60-75 risograph printed pages and will be completed by JUNE 1st 2012, all pre-orders to be fulfilled a week of completion.
Ayooooo last chance to get a complete set of Mothers News Year 2!
Mothers News is the award-winning newspaper featuring exclusive comics by CF, Brian Chippendale, Chuck Forsman, Mickey Zacchilli, Michael DeForge, and more! we have only a few complete sets (of 12 issues) remaining of Mothers News Year 2, so if you are not already subscribed, and want to “Go Pokemon” on these, you’ll really have to act now!!!! a mere $20 will get you 11 back issues plus the heretofore unwritten May issue that will round out our year. Every issue is at least 8 pages, features 2 big pages of comics, a poster-appropriate centerspread, and LOTS of great writing that will change your life probably, all printed out PROFESSIONALLY on newsprint in the time-honored format!
“one of my favorite rags ever” – Frank Santoro
mention code MYWAR on the order form and you will also get a free 11×17 panel of Nancy wallpaper (offset printed in purple by Mothers News editor Jacob Berendes), plus a Mothers News promo poster (hand colored in crayon by an intern), and whatever other fun trash we have lying around!
like i said we only have a few complete sets available and they’ll go fast so ACT NOW! $20 postpaid DON’T SLEEP! click the button above or on the Mothers News subscription page. subscriptions for next year (July 2012 – July 2013) will go on sale in May.